Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

This Saturday, Edith came over from Kootenay, and she, Kurt, Tracy, and I went to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix on Imax. Luckily for us, I had bought our tickets earlier in the week online since they sold out quickly. Crisia had a weekend off and was in Saskatchewan. Nikhil is anti-Harry Potter and chose to stay home by himself and watch 24. In the end, he actually didn’t watch 24 and read Archie comics instead (I don’t know about you, but I think that’s a little bit more pathetic than going to see a Harry Potter movie).

If any of you haven’t already seen this but intend to see it at some point, I suggest that you go see it in 3-d at an Imax theatre. Twenty minutes of the movie at the climax of the story occurs in 3-d, and it is simply awesome. I really enjoyed how it made it appear as if I could reach out and touch things in the movie. It made me feel as if I was in the scene.

As for the movie itself, I found it quite enjoyable. I’m not entirely sure how it compares to the last two movies, and I think I would need to watch it again in order to determine this. As a movie, it was really good. I think it flowed better than the last one, but was definitely not as cinematically pleasing as Prisoner of Azkaban. It was a good portrayal of how dark the book was, but time constraints prevent it from even scratching the surface of everything that was in the books.

Jen’s predictions for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Since the seventh and final book of the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, is being released Friday at midnight, I would like to end this post with a few of my own predictions. If you have not read up until the end of book six and intend to, I suggest you read no further. Furthermore, if you have read all the books but would not like my opinion to influence your own, you should probably also refrain from reading on. If you would like reasons for my specific predictions, I am open to questioning in the comments.

  • Harry is a Horcrux.
  • Harry lives (it took me a long time to come to this conclusion, especially given the above prediction, but I feel that somehow he must pull through).
  • Voldemort dies.
  • Snape is good and was in love with Lily Potter.
  • Harry does not return to Hogwarts as a student but will for other reasons.
  • We will see what's behind that veil in the Ministry and see Sirius Black again.
  • Dumbledore's portrait and the Pensieve will be important.
  • R. A. B is Regulus Black, and the locket is the one they found at Grimmauld Place and is either being held by Kreacher or was sold by Mundungus to Aberforth Dumbledore (who incidentally will also be important in this book).
  • Harry and Ginny will get back together.
  • Ron and Hermione will finally express their undying love for each other and will both live.
  • Good people who will die other than the above: Moody, Hagrid, Lupin, Arthur Weasley, Neville.
  • Bad people who will die other than the above: Lucius Malfoy, Bellatrix Lestrange, Wormtail.
  • In between people who will die: Draco Malfoy, Snape, Percy Weasley.
  • And completely out there: Harry will travel back in time to Godric’s Hollow.

3 comments:

Caitlin said...

I love Archie comics! Don't diss Archie!!

Jen said...

I see nothing wrong with Archie comics themselves, but I do see something wrong with a guy staying home on a Saturday night to read them while his friends are out watching a movie.

Eliott said...

I think your Harry Potter movie counter broke :P