Monday, May 14, 2007

Friday in Calgary

I had my first real weekend this past week. We had scheduled is so that Nikhil and I had Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off. Crisia has chosen to continue with her own personal project through the weekend. We had decided that since we needed groceries and had a few errands to run at the University of Calgary, we would head into Calgary to run our errands and then go see Spiderman 3 at the Imax. Nikhil and I would have to go by ourselves if Crisia was unable to finish up her work by 11am.

Luckily she was done before that since she didn’t catch any animals and we actually left here soon after 10am. Since we had some time to spare because we had only reserved parking at noon, we walked around a mall close to the university. We got ice cream and went to HMV. It seemed kind of pointless to look at and buy clothing we would be mostly unable to wear this summer since we spend 95% of our time in field clothes smelling like mouse poo.

Entering the city felt like we were coming out of the woods into civilization. We got to the university by noon and went to their Biostore, which it turns out is closed from 12-1pm. As soon as we got there, the guy locked the door and said, “We’re closed.” We went to get the mail for the field station but that room was locked as well. Unfortunately, our parking was only until 12:30, and the grocery store (we can only go to Superstores because they’re cheaper) and the Imax theatre were at least 20 minutes away. So much for saving on gas.

We decided to go for groceries anyway because there was no point in waiting around until 1 and our movie started at 2:30. Crisia needed to be back for 6pm, so we needed to be out of Calgary by 5pm. By the time we got through traffic and were done our groceries, it was 1:45. If we went back to the university and then came back, we would be late for the movie. We couldn’t miss the movie since we came all this way and Nikhil had been dying to see it since before it came out. Crisia decided to drop us off at the theatre and go back to the university herself since she was the one who needed syringes from the store and did not think she would die if she didn’t see this movie. She would hang out at the mall near the theatre to wait for us afterwards.

I was expecting the movie to be really crappy since I had spoken with Eliott about it earlier, as he had seen it the week before. He thought it was horrible. Since I went in with low expectations, I came out of the movie thinking it was not as bad as I had been lead to believe. Sure, the ending was cheesy, but I like my happy endings. It was definitely not as good as the first two, but I didn’t think it was terrible. I laughed until it hurt at emo-Spiderman, who danced when he walked. A lot of that was entirely unnecessary and not what I expected black-suit-Spiderman to be like given my knowledge from the cartoon. Nikhil, who had read reviews that had said it was good, came out of it very disappointed. Poor Nikhil.

Meanwhile, Crisia had gone back to the University of Calgary and paid for parking. She waited until her parking had expired, and no one came to open the Biostore. At least she was able to get the mail for the field station, but the mail she had been waiting for was not a part of it. Poor Crisia.

Afterwards, we abandoned Nikhil in the parking lot of the theatre so that he could meet with his relatives with whom he would be spending the weekend, while Crisia and I picked up some items to make our weekend more enjoyable and headed back into the woods. Hopefully our next foray into civilization will be longer and will result in more fun for us.


Emo-Spiderman!

4 comments:

Eliott said...

oh god, i can't watch it

Anonymous said...

Write more blog! I have nothing fresh to read and Mein Kampf got boring after 50 pages! (btw, I also do not see myself seeing Spiderman 3.)

Caitlin said...

Is that clip actually from the movie? Or is it a parody or something? I'm confused... obviously I have no clue what the plot premise is. I'll probably go blow money on it anyways. But on a cheapie Tuesday or something :P

Jen said...

It's pieced together from the movie and set to Linkin Park. Definitely go when it's cheaper. :P