Thursday, May 3, 2007

Drive to Kananaskis, Alberta

I'm rather tired, and I have some phone calls to make, so I'll make this post rather short. I left London, Ontario to drive to Kananaskis, Alberta on Tuesday morning. There were three of us driving to Alberta in two cars. I will introduce them to you now since you will probably be hearing a lot more about them all summer. Crisia and Nikhil are the other Masters students who will be starting in September. Crisia has already been out to Kananaskis as a field assistant, so she will be showing Nikhil and I the ropes. I think the three of us will get along great. We survived three days on the road together, and we haven't killed each other yet, so I think that's a good sign.

For those of you who are skeptical, yes, I did do some of the driving. It wasn't as long as the other two, but I will eventually be able to work my way up to that. I did about 8 hours with a break for lunch on one day and 4 hours this morning. We drove through the U.S. and up into Saskatchewan. We stayed two night in motels that were nice enough to be hotels, one in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, and the other in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. There isn't really much to say about the drive since there wasn't really much to see, but I did get to know my fellow Masters students a little more.

We arrived in Kananaskis around 6:30 today. We are living in a trailer. I know that sounds like we'll be living in very confined conditions, but the trailer is actually rather large. I have pictures of the drive starting from Western and ending at the trailer. I will eventually get around to commenting on some of them so that you know what they are. You will find them in Pictures linked on the right.

The facilities here appear to be rather nice. I will eventually get pictures of that. I have access to wireless internet and a computer lab in the lab building, and we will have our own office.

No comments: