Sunday, September 16, 2007

Rae Glacier

I had missed the hike after the previous one to clean the traps that we took down from Sibbald. It was quite a relief to take this grid down. I think it was the prettiest one there with its carpet of moss littered with fallen logs and its really old pine trees that creak rather disconcertingly (like they’re talking to each other like Ents), with hair-like lichens hanging from the lower branches. It was, however, a real pain to climb up to get to and to run from trap to trap, since it is rather steep and there are fallen logs everywhere. During the 3 weeks when there were mosquitoes, there was just a ridiculous amount of them. If you stopped for a moment on the off-chance that there was something in a trap, the mosquitoes would cover you like a blanket. I think Crisia even waved a vole at them accidentally to keep them out of her face. Furthermore, we rarely caught anything there. More often than not, it would be nothing or simply a chipmunk, which didn’t really matter in our population studies. I think there was only one vole there that we caught more than once. We usually consider having low trap success in the mornings to be a good thing on the long term grids since we would be done sooner; however, it often made it seem pointless to even wake up at 6 in the morning when you weren’t likely to catch anything.

Anyway, to bring myself away from my rant about Sibbald and back to the point, Crisia and I went on the hike the next day with the Alpine Ecology students to Rae Glacier. We passed a pretty blue lake and a campground and had lunch by a small waterfall past the tree line. Crisia and I spent the majority of the time in the back conversing with Brent, the other professor of the course, which led to my observation that he is an all-around cool guy. We stopped every once and a while so the students could tell us about their chosen plants. We went so slowly that we were passed twice by this large group of old people with hiking poles, once on their way up and once on their way down.

Kurt, the student who became more and more similar to a crazy mountain goat, was already way ahead before Brent, Crisia, and I climbed up after him. The rest of the class stayed at the base, and as we got higher and higher up, we could only see specks of them sliding down the glacier. This was one of the scariest things that I have ever done. The rocks of the pass up to Pocaterra ridge were a walk in the park compared to this. This was steeper, and the rocks came in varying layers above a base of solid ice. Being much less sure on my feet than the others ahead of me, I mostly took it very slowly until I caused the rocks to slide down underneath my feet, in which case, I scrambled up as fast as I could as if my life depended on it. I don’t think my life was in danger at any point, but I could have been seriously hurt if I had wiped up and slid down.

When we met Kurt at the top (or sort of top... we didn’t go all the way up), I was very relieved and quite impressed with myself. My knees were still aching from the previous hike, and I have never and probably will not ever consider myself to be a hardcore hiker. Yes, what we did on our grids on a daily basis was certainly more than most people do on their walk to the bus stop, but it hardly compared to a half day hike up a mountain. Here we took a few pictures of ourselves using the timed functions on our cameras. We also got to taste and take away in our water bottles some glacier water. This was the best water I’ve ever tasted. This could have been because it was cold and straight off a glacier and because I had just come to the top of strenuous hike, but you’d have to try it to understand.

The way down was much quicker. I actually found riding the rock slides down quite enjoyable rather than frightening since they were travelling in the direction I needed to go, and I didn’t need to fight against them like I did on the way up. Crisia and I took off without the class again so that the day wouldn’t be a complete waste work-wise. By the end of it, both of our knees were shot, especially Crisia’s (I think she pushed herself harder than she should have even if she is a much more experienced hiker than I am), and we had another hike the next day to look forward too. This would sadly be my last full day in Kananaskis.


No comments: