Friday, August 3, 2007

Updates and Transformers

After many back and forth emails, I have finally booked a flight back to Montreal. My flight lands late the night of August 24th, so I am free to spend time with anyone who wants to see me from August 25th to September 6th. Please let me know if you want to book any particular dates with me.

I have also uploaded the few pictures taken from when Jackie came to visit. There are pictures from our hike to Prairie View and from the Calgary Folk Fest.

Yesterday, Nikhil, Tracy, and I drove Yeen Ten back into Calgary, where she is staying for a day or so before flying back to London. She has been here for a little while now to run the long term grids in burnt parts Kootenay National Park, BC and to do some of her own work there. Most of her time and some of Nikhil’s and a lot of Crisia’s was spent in the Kootenay bunk house with Edith, so I and whoever else was staying behind, had a lot of extra work on our plates, which is apparently nothing compared to what they had to do in Kootenay.

We dropped Yeen Ten off at her car rental place, and then headed out for lunch and then to see the Transformers movie. If anyone hasn’t seen this movie but eventually intends to, I suggest going to see it in theatres. I don’t think I would have enjoyed it as much if it wasn’t on the big screen. It wasn’t the greatest movie ever in terms of plot or screenplay, but it was certainly entertaining. Tracy and I finally got to figure out how Transformers procreate. We were very excited by this. Nikhil was a little upset that Bumblebee was a Camero rather than a Beetle, but not remembering any particular details about the cartoon from the 80’s, I didn’t really care so much. I did notice, however, the prevalence of GM vehicles and of Mountain Dew. Yay for product placement!

After running some errands of our own, we met Yeen Ten, Kurt, and Crisia for supper at a Korean place. We ate so much food that it made the car ride afterwards rather unpleasant. Kurt and Crisia had to leave early since they were coming in to go to some sort of concert in the evening. We said our goodbyes to Yeen Ten, whom Crisia, Nikhil, and I will be seeing soon in September. Nikhil was dropped off at his aunt and uncle’s for the weekend, and I drove Tracy and myself back to the field station after having lots of coffee to make up for waking up at 6am to catch heather voles for Nikhil. So ends another rather long day in Calgary.

No comments: